Calendar for presidential elections
- February 5th: deadline for submission of applications to the Court of Appeal;
- February 18th: the Court of Appeal informs the Technical Secretariat for Electoral Administration (STAE in Portuguese) and the National Electoral Commission (NEC) of the accepted applications; STAE discloses the number and location of the voting centres and polling stations;
- February 19th to 21st: STAE publicly discloses the applications;
- March 3rd to 17th: electoral campaign period;
- March 20th: voting day;
- March 23rd to 25th: final results (are NEC’s responsibility);
- April 2nd: publication in the Official Gazette of the results, after a period for submission of any appeal of the national results.
In the event of none of the Candidates achieving an absolute majority in the first round, the process reopens for a second vote.
- The Court of Appeal issues a Notice, indicating the candidates for the elections’ second round and draws lots to order the candidates in the ballot papers;
- April 3rd to 17th: campaign period;
- April 20th: voting day;
- April 23rd to 25th: final results (are NEC’s responsibility);
- May 3rd: publication in the Official Gazette of the results, after a period for submission of any appeal of the national results;
- May 20th: Inauguration of the new President of the Republic.